To setup Outlook Express or Windows Mail for Authenticated SMTP please do the following:
01. Open Outlook Express or Windows Mail on Vista
02. Click Tools at the top, then click Accounts
03. Click the Mail tab
04. Select your email account and click the Properties button on the right. If you have more than one account, you will need to repeat the following steps for each account. Your screen should look like this:
05. Click the Servers tab in the window that just opened. Change the outgoing (SMTP) server to: mail.firststepinternet.com and put a checkmark in "My outgoing server requires authentication".
06. Click the Advanced tab and change the Outgoing (SMTP) port number to 587 like so:
07. Click the OK button to save the changes.
08. Click the Close button on the Internet Accounts window to finish this update.
You should now be able to send and receive email even when connected to another Internet provider. If you still can't send it may be because they block all outgoing email, in which case you may have better luck sending email through our webmail.